Creative branding work by Memphis firm Tactical Magic is featured in this month’s edition of the prestigious Communication Arts magazine’s Design Annual. The magazine selected a logo created by Tactical Magic for Lunar Productions as one of only 18 trademarks honored.
Graphic design work was submitted in various categories by approximately 20,000 entrants, from all over the world. Very few pieces are chosen.
“This is the graphic design equivalent of the Cannes Film Festival,” exclaims Design Director Ben Johnson, “We’re truly honored to be included in this show.”
Tactical Magic is the only Memphis agency to be included in this year’s Design Annual, and appears to be the first ever to win in the highly competitive Trademark category. “To say I’m proud would be an understatement,’ says Art Director Sloan Cooper. “Getting in these books is a real kick – and keeps the agency on fire,” he adds.
Though only five years old, Tactical Magic has established a strong creative reputation in the region.
After sharing the spotlight at the local Addy awards with the largest firms in town at the beginning of the year, the agency went on to earn singular notoriety in several other venues, including:
• A trade magazine ad for Fulmer Helmets selected for publication in Contemporary Advertising 11, a college textbook
• Trademarks for the Eyewear Gallery, Fulmer Helmets and Nuance AV published in LogoLounge 3, a collection of outstanding international logos
• Top honors (the Silver VOX) from the Memphis chapter of the Public Relations Society of America
• A website for My Next Phase honored by the Webby awards
• A consumer magazine ad for Fulmer Helmets published in the Print Regional Design Annual
• Three Telly awards for a TV commercial and videos created for The Art of the Motorcycle and Memphis Car Audio
• A trade show booth for Memphis Car Audio featured in Best Exhibits by Event Marketer magazine
• Billboard of the Month for the Eyewear Gallery from Clear Channel
• A consumer magazine ad for Fulmer Helmets published in Graphis Advertising, an international collection published annually in hardcover
• Most Creative Ad of the Year, awarded by Motorcycle Industry magazine
“Awards are nice,” says Creative Director Trace Hallowell, “in fact, they’re an important indicator of creative quality. But our clients, of course, care more about results. All of this recognition, along with instances of measurable marketplace impact, tells me that our unique model of creative collaboration and strategic branding is working.”
"It is not slickness, polish, uniqueness, or cleverness that makes a brand a brand. It is truth." - Harry Beckwith